Nationalist Congress Party (NCP-SP) president Sharad Pawar on Thursday delivered a sharp rebuke to Mahayuti leaders, accusing them of running a “money-driven” campaign for the Maharashtra local body elections, reported the IANS.
He alleged that members of the ruling alliance were seeking votes on the promise of funds rather than on the basis of their performance.
“There is now a contest over who can offer more money,” Pawar remarked, noting that informal “poll fronts or groups” had emerged across several districts. “Votes are being solicited on the basis of money and funds — this is not a healthy sign,” Pawar said,m according to the IANS.
His comments come amid growing controversy over recurring references to development funds by senior Mahayuti figures — including Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, as well as BJP and Shinde Sena ministers — during campaign rallies.
These leaders have openly told voters that development funding would be assured only if their candidates were elected.
The dispute intensified after Ajit Pawar’s recent speech in Malegaon Nagar Panchayat, where he promised generous funds for the town should NCP candidates win, warning that areas failing to support the party would be denied assistance. His “vote for funds” pitch drew strong condemnation from the opposition, which demanded an apology. Ajit Pawar later defended himself, claiming he respected the Model Code of Conduct and that mistakes could occur in public life, but insisted he owed “no debt” to anyone despite years of allegations, as per the IANS.
Raising the stakes further, BJP Minister for Higher and Technical Education Chandrakant Patil told voters in Bhor that despite Ajit Pawar holding the post of Deputy Chief Minister, “Devendra Fadnavis is the Chief Minister”, urging them to vote accordingly.
Similarly, Shiv Sena Water Supply Minister Gulabrao Patil triggered outrage when, during a Nashik rally, he proclaimed that the Urban Development Department had “plenty of money” and that voters would witness “Lakshmi darshan the night before polling” — a remark widely interpreted as a hint at cash inducements.
BJP Revenue Minister Chandrashekhar Bawankule also faced criticism after telling party workers in Gadchiroli not to worry about election-related expenses, though he later claimed he had been referring only to arrangements at the local BJP office. On Ajit Pawar’s remarks, Bawankule said decisions relating to funds were taken collectively by the top three leaders and finalised by the Chief Minister.
Sharad Pawar further pointed to growing factionalism within the Mahayuti during the local body polls, observing that rival groups within the same party were collaborating with other factions in numerous areas.
“This is happening for the first time. The message is clear — there is no unanimity in this election,” he said. “Voters will deliver the appropriate verdict in the Panchayat Samiti and other local body polls. We have never engaged in such tactics, nor will we. There are still a few days to go — let us see what unfolds,” reported the IANS.
Regarding the state government’s decision to suspend crop-loan recovery for a year following severe rains and flooding, Pawar described the action as inadequate. While welcoming the suspension as a “temporary relief”, he said farmers required financial compensation, interest waivers, and reduced instalments.
“Farmers have suffered severe losses. The government should have offered some monetary support. Only then would the relief have been meaningful,” he said, the news agency reported,
(with IANS inputs)