The Nashik Police in Maharashtra on Monday said that a truck driver’s claim about being kidnapped and assaulted over a robbery of Rs 400 crore has turned out to be completely false, reported the PTI.
The complaint was filed by Sandeep Patil, who told police in Ghoti that seven men had stopped his vehicle, kidnapped him and beaten him on October 22 last year.
He claimed the incident was linked to a truck carrying Rs 400 crore in now-discontinued Rs 2000 notes.
According to Nashik Rural Police, a detailed investigation found that no such robbery had taken place. Officers said there was no evidence of any truck carrying such a large amount of cash, the news agency reported.
Patil had told police that the attack happened in the Chorla Ghat area of Belgaum district in neighbouring Karnataka. He also claimed the truck was transporting hawala money from Karnataka to Maharashtra. Police in Karnataka were informed at the time, as per the PTI.
The driver had shared videos on social media describing his alleged ordeal. Based on his complaint, seven people were arrested for assaulting him.
However, during the investigation, officers found several gaps in Patil’s account. These included inconsistencies in the truck’s route, call records and timing of events.
Complaint was fabricated
After further checks, police concluded that the complaint was fabricated, officials said.
The case was heard in the Igatpuri court, which ordered the release of all seven accused. Police are now considering legal action against Patil for filing a false complaint.
An official said further steps in the matter will be decided soon.
Maharashtra ATS conducts raids over suspected terror activities
Meanwhile, in an another matter, the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) has launched a massive search operation at multiple locations in Yavatmal and Ahilyanagar districts, and detained several suspects for inquiry following a tip-off about terror-linked activities, officials said on Sunday, as per the PTI.
The ATS combed more than 20 locations in the two districts in the raids launched around midnight and has rounded up over a dozen suspects, they said.
According to the PTI, based on specific intelligence about the radicalisation of youths in the state, the ATS, along with district police teams, launched operations in Pusad and Umarkhed cities in Yavatmal, a senior police official said.
Searches are underway at 14 locations, including homes, offices, and other places connected to the suspects, the official said, adding that the teams have seized objectionable documents, mobile phones, electronic gadgets, and examined CCTV footage, the news agency reported on Sunday.
(with PTI inputs)